Sunday, January 6, 2008

Useful or annoying?


Whenever I run with Uyen, I get an accurate update on what our pace is, how far we've run, and what time it is. All possible with her Garmin forefunner watch which has a gps tracking for distance measurements. Recently, my coworker showed me the latest model. They made it even smaller and easier to wear. (Previous models were on the bulky side). I'm on the fence about getting this watch. On the one hand it does calculate useful data while OUT on a run so I can adjust accordingly. On the other hand, it'll be a constant reminder of how much farther I have left to go. I worry about quitting too early and the numbers playing mind games. Running with Uyen eliminates those mind games because she counts on me to finish and vice versa of course. Anyways, check out the cool watch here: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=11039


AND my January 1, 2008 entry from my other blog thats more appropriate here now:
Ok, lets talk about running now..I did 10 miles yesterday morning to prepare for the Carlsbad half. It felt great. Usually, I'm wiped out after a long run, but yesterday for some reason I got productive. My room is so clean and organized...I love it! =)

I do a lot of thinking when I run these long distances. I think most people who decide to run a Marathon aren't runners to begin with. I think ANYONE can run more then a 5k. It's all about the mind. If you have all your limbs, you have no excuse. So many people with no legs are running these things. I think what scares most people from the sport is the beginning of a run. The first mile or so. The first part of any training. The first couple of months...whatever it is, there's a threshold that people need to reach before feeling that climax. Everything before that threshold is usually full of pain but with strength of mind, you can overcome that. Remind yourself that you have all your limbs. It'll finally get to a point where you can breathe a normal breathing pace as if you were walking, but you're actually running. Your lungs adjust. It's a good feeling. I wish more people would understand this. I hate hearing people say they can't run. But I used to think that way, so I can't blame them. I just wish more people would challenge themselves to do something they thought they couldn't do and then set out to do it. They should just try.

2 comments:

J said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I can't wait to keep track of your training. Rock and Roll marathon in San Diego looks like a lot of fun! You are going to do great!

Melissa said...

The watch seems like it would be useful and, in a lot of ways, motivating. Although I do agree it would remind you how much farther you have to go, it would also possibly motivate you to try to beat your last time. You seemed to be so proud when you got your best time on that one half-marathon. It is a bit of money but may prove to be well worth it. Either way, you can also just use Uyen's when you run with her and you are exactly where you started. I don't think it's a bad idea. Seems helpful.